Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Life lessons over a cup of tea!

Back again is the tea for two tuesdays. A meme by the famous writer "Preeti Shenoy".

Tried my hand once again this time with my first attempt to fiction. Here it goes.......


I was waiting outside in the lobby for my turn. Interviews had just begun, as informed by the receptionist and the first candidate was already inside the marketing heads room. My turn was fourth.

Having walked down for over 30 mins to reach this office from where the auto-rickshaw had dropped me, I just couldn’t feel my legs. I quickly found a place for myself and sat in the couch with two other girls. They were filling up the interview form. Both were dressed in western formals like me. One had her hair open, the other with a neatly pinned bun. I had my signature pony tail. We exchanged smiles.

I opened the folder the third time from the time that I had left home, to check whether all my documents are in order. Thankfully they were. Then I was given the interview form to fill. The form was just a 02 page questionnaire on my personal, academic and professional details. It took me another 10 mins to fill the same and I submitted it to the lady at the reception.

Then the first candidate came out of the interview room. The receptionist got a call from the Marketing head, asking her to take all her document copies. She did and said will get back to her. Meanwhile the other two girls got up and accompanied her till the exit, asking her how it went, what all was asked, how is the marketing head guy and so on. I was eavesdropping to their conversation. The girl said that it went well, the guy (the marketing head) is ok, but he is assisted by a lady in HR who asks quite tricky/manipulating questions. She wished them luck and went and the girls came back to sit on the couch again. That is exactly from when the nervous pangs started to creep in my brain.

“Ushma pls go inside”- said the receptionist.

So Ushma went in. Turning to the other girl she said “After this, it is your turn Parul”. Parul nodded.

I wondered how only 04 girls have been called for this interview. I remembered the other day how hesitatingly I had applied to this opening online, not sure whether I wanted to start my career with a marketing job. But then I googled about the company and found out from my dad and friends. It appeared to be one of the fastest growing HR firms in India. It would be a good company to begin my career with. Yes I am not being considered for HR since I do not hold a qualification in the domain. But they are giving a chance to freshers for marketing. I can always get in to a marketing role and simultaneously pursue my studies in HR. After a rigorous telephonic round, I have been shortlisted for this personal Interview and now I have to give it my best shot. I tried my best to keep my confidence up. I sat nervous twiddling my thumbs, when Parul started a conversation. (Thank God she did, the silence was driving me crazy)

I understood that Parul has a diploma in Marketing from a descent management institute. She was not assisted by her college for placements; hence she is looking for a job on her own. Parul also informed that “Ushma” and “Payel (the 1st candidate) too are freshers like me. She looked very confident because of her background in marketing and somewhere it seemed that she has a leg up in the selection. 10 minutes later Ushma came out. She looked bit disappointed. She submitted her documents at the reception and quickly left the lobby before we could catch hold of her. Understandingly it didn’t go well. Now the butterflies were dancing in my belly.

“Parul” – called the receptionist. As Parul got up to leave, I wished her luck. She smiled back and entered the interview room. I realized the interview might take long, hence started to read the newspaper kept on the table next to the couch.

I had only started reading in when I saw Parul coming out of the room.

“Hey, what happened? How so early?” I asked in wonder

“I don’t know, they just asked me 02-3 questions and asked me to submit my documents in the reception and leave”. She answered.

“May be she is selected based on her profile. I am sure she is hence they didn’t waste further time on interviewing” I argued with myself and said “goodbye”. She wished me luck and left.

I knew it was my turn now. “OMG, I just cant believe this – it is going to be my first interview for a job. Me the believer, me the self - respectful, me the “give-me-this-damn-job-or-I-will-throw-the-papers-on-your-face” attitude girl is sooooooooo God damn nervous and desperate to get through this one. Given the choice I can go all begging on my knees to make it. Rejection has always tasted sour and I din’t want to have a brush with it again. Yes I have to make it. I took a deep breath, got up and waited for the receptionist’s instructions.

She ushered me in the interview room, where I was greeted by a young man in his late twenties, looking very smart and presentable in a black blazer but with very serious looks and a middle aged lady seated next to him, who seemed to be giving him a tough competition in looking creepy. I sat and took a deep breath again.

I was asked for my CV. Suddenly my hands trembled, nervousness started kicking me again. In seconds I found my body contracting and my eyes winking every now and then. Before I could control all this the folder fell from my hands while handing them over. Gosh! I was embarrassed! “Neesha you have lost it, lost the chance. Damn! You couldn’t even hold your stupid pangs for a while. Now they will get up and ask you to leave” I said to myself in distress. And then they got up and walked towards me. I could see how my instincts were turning true. I looked down, wishing there I could quickly dig a big hole on the floor and bury myself in, than face the music. Stupefied, I remained seated, when I felt a soft hand on my shoulder.

“Come on Neesha, come along” said Ms. Niyati Pradhan – The regional HR. I knew they would courteously show me the door. So I got up and followed. Three cabins later, they took me to a small conference room and we took our chairs. I looked up, the room was all painted in white with a purple ceiling. It also had some nice motivational posters on the wall. One of them read “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts". I swallowed my disappointment as I read these lines, hoping this is not final. Hoping they give me a chance.

Do you know how to make tea Neesha? Asked Ms. Niyati.

“Tea? Of course I do”. I answered.

“Great! Then how do you like your cup of tea?” She inquired.

“Black” I replied.

She quickly dialed a number from the office telephone and ordered for two cups of tea.

By now Mr. Sameer (The marketing head) had left. Ms. Niyati looked less intimidating, making efforts to make it easy for me. I was still nervous not knowing whats happening.

In the next 02 minutes, the tea arrived. As I was pouring the hot water in the cup and about to dip the tea bag in , Ms. Niyati asked – “What do you hold in your hands?”

Now it was getting a bit too much. “I know I am nervous, that doesn’t mean the interview questions will come down to as easy as these obvious ones like – do you drink tea or what you hold in your hand. I mean what is she trying to do?” I groaned to myself.

“I am holding tea bags mam” I answered.

“Yes, you are.” She continued. “You know we all are like these tea bags. The leaves in us are our character, our strengths. They lie just wrapped in the bag as long as they are kept aside. But the moment they are dipped in hot water, they create magic. They spread colours and flavors and make this plain boiling water into a soothing, healing beverage called Tea. Remember without having being dipped in hot water, a tea bag is nothing. It has no use. Similarly unless you face the challenges in life, the magic in you will never unravel. You can be an excellent cook only when you try your hands in cooking, a very good teacher only when you try explaining a lesson to a child, and extraordinary marketing professional only when you endeavor to convince the interview panel that you have it in you. Don’t let the opportunity go. Dip the tea bags in – the world awaits to see your magic.

Enjoy your tea Neesha. We’ll see you in 10 minutes in Mr. Sameer’s cabin”. I was dumbfounded. Trying to read between the lines. Trying to understand all that she said and meant. I was cherishing this gesture, the effort to make me give my best by someone who doesn’t even know me. Why would anyone bother? Why would anyone give so much of time to help someone to face it, to overcome it? She didn't have to do it. But she did. I looked back at the poster again. Perhaps this failure was not meant to be final, yes it never is. Now I know.

She left me alone in the room with life lessons over a cup of tea and lots of food for thought.

I finished my tea, and went back to the interview room. 15 minutes of grilling session and I walked out with my offer letter in hand.

The lady at the reception – Ritu (I finally got her name) caught me while having her cup of tea and congratulated me. She briefed me with my offer letter. I was to join the next Monday.

“See you on 19th Neesha. Meanwhile would you like to have some tea before you leave?” asked Ritu.

I smiled and holding on to the offer letter said “I already had it some time back. Special tea offered by Ms. Niyati. You continue Ritu – you look stressed after having standing in the reception for so long. Enjoy your tea –trust me it will all go no matter how big it is. Goodbye”. And I left the doorway as ”Executive – Marketing: Pearlchip Management Consultants Ltd”.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Loved reading it Sukku! Perhaps that tea served as a great confidence builder.

    And I loved that quote on the wall.
    You should write like this more often! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant believe its your first attempt at fiction ;)

    Very nicely written....enjoyed reading it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice story!! A really good attempt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! That was so refreshing! I loved reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Simple & honest, a passionate lover, an emotional fool"

    With those words you have me hooked...perhaps momentarily...perhaps forever....who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rachit - Thanks for appreciation. I loved your entry too. You write like a seasoned one, so these comments coming from you mean a lot.

    @Me - Yes it is! Thanks for reading.
    @Tan & Ashna - Glad you guys like it :)
    @Nilu - Hope you are hooked for often spending some moments here forever :)

    ReplyDelete